The United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI) with the support of the Turin Bar Association and the International Association of Lawyers (Union Internationale des Avocats - UIA), have hosted in Turin the forth edition of the Seminar on International Criminal Law Defence from 22 to 25 April 2013.
The 4-day Seminar, which took place at the Foundation of the Turin Bar Association (Fondazione dell’Avvocatura Torinese Fulvio Croce) represented a unique opportunity to acquire a deep understanding of defence in the area of international criminal law, thanks to the participation of renowned experts such as Ms. Colleen Rohan and Ms. Marie O'Leary, criminal defence attorneys practising before international tribunals.
The Seminar has been organized within the framework of the LL.M. in International Crime and Justice, jointly organized by UNICRI and the University of Turin. The first day of the Seminar was conceived as an introductory session on International Criminal Law and Procedure reserved only to the external participants. The latter joined the LL.M. students, coming from 26 different countries, for the remainder of the activities.
Main course topics included:
- Basic principles of International Criminal Law;
- Introduction to the ICC Rules of Procedure and Evidence;
- Introduction and overview of International Criminal Defence;
- Defence Counsel qualifications and training - setting up a defence team;
- Preparation of strategies for defence;
- Defence investigations;
- Purpose of disclosure and use of evidence;
- Common challenges raised against the Prosecution's case;
- Sources of case law;
- How to structure legal arguments;
- Direct and cross-examination by the Defence;
- Common grounds of appeal and how to preserve the record for appeal.
A new edition of the Seminar is foreseen in March/April 2014.
Updated information will be posted by February 2014.
For more information please contact:
Tel: (+39) 011 65 37 195 -- (+39) 011 65 37 156 -- (+39) 011 65 37 157